Frequently Asked Questions

Personal Injury

What Should You Do If Involved in a Car Accident?

If you or someone you love is involved in an auto accident in Kansas, you're going to face financial problems including high medical bills. It's important to hire a car accident lawyer you can trust and who can make certain you recover the compensation you're entitled to.

How Is Negligence Determined in Personal Injury Cases?

A personal injury lawyer can ensure that the insurance company for the person responsible for your injury pays fair compensation. They can also help determine negligence by getting copies of the accident report and medical records, taking photographs of the injuries, damage to vehicles and the accident scene, and identifying any witnesses.

Are There Time Limits for When I Can File a Personal Injury Claim in Kansas?

Kansas gives you 2 years to ask state courts for a civil remedy for any personal injury or for damages you sustained. You must get the lawsuit filed against any potential defendant within two years, and the clock starts running on the date of the accident.
Car Accident

What if the person who hit me doesn't have insurance?

In Kansas, state law requires motorists to have insurance, including personal injury protection coverage. Uninsured drivers face penalties including fines, jail time and a suspended license. If you're injured in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, your uninsured motorist coverage can pay your expenses. And it may be worth pursuing a case against the driver to recover your damages, since a court can order the at-fault driver to make regular payments to you or may issue a lien against his assets until you're compensated.

What is PIP insurance?

In Kansas, state-mandated personal injury protection insurance covers damages that include medical expenses, disability, loss of income, and more. All Kansas drivers must have insurance policies with a minimum of $4,500 in PIP coverage.

What are the Kansas No-Fault Laws?

Kansas is one of 12 states with a no-fault statute for auto insurance, which allow individuals to recover compensation from their personal insurance company, regardless of fault. Individuals involved in a car accident are entitled to file a claim with their insurance company through state-mandated personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.

Do I Still Have a Case If I Was Partially at Fault?

Kansas uses a "comparative fault" rule to reduce or eliminate damages when an injured person is found to share fault for an accident that led to their injury. Courts in Kansas apply the comparative fault rule when both parties share fault, and insurance adjusters will bring the rule up during settlement negotiations.

What are the grounds for divorce in Kansas?

In Kansas, grounds for divorce are incompatibility (no fault), failure to perform a marital duty, and incompatibility by reason of mental illness or mental incapacity. An uncontested divorce is an option for married couples who want to end their marriage without having to go to trial.

What do I have to do to start a divorce?

If you're seeking an uncontested divorce in Kansas, it's important to hire an experienced divorce lawyer to walk you through the documentation of your divorce and mediate the process of dividing property and time with any children from your marriage. An experienced lawyer can help make it more likely the court will approve your desired terms for the divorce.

I've been served with a Petition for Divorce!! What do I do?

If you've been served with a divorce petition, you should educate yourself on divorce issues and procedures in Kansas, consult with an attorney, and prepare your paperwork and gather all necessary documents.