Working in an agricultural environment offers a variety of benefits. In fact, farming is one of the oldest and most useful professionals, and the country relies on farmers every single day to survive. At the same time, farming is a dangerous occupation.
There are a number of farm accidents and injuries that occur every year. When a farmer doesn’t take the proper safety precautions, an accident can end in disaster because of all the heavy machinery commonly involved in commercial farming. If you have been injured in a farm accident in Southwest Kansas, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the accident law experts at The Law Firm of Joseph T. Welsh to start your claim today.
Types of Farm Accidents
Farm accidents can happen for a number of reasons. You can expect a reasonable amount of injuries because the heavy equipment that farms use. However, there’s also a few other contributing factors:
- Injuries caused by farming machines – Workers sometimes get caught or trapped within the machinery. As a result, workers suffer from injuries that cause them to be disfigured or killed.
- Flipped tractor – Tractor rollovers can be tragic. Farmers suffer from injuries acquired after a tractor rolls over while operating. Some injuries are severe enough to result in death, while others are require long-term hospital stays and recovery.
- Suffocation – At times, enclosed spaces are not able to properly ventilate the work area. As a result, farmers get trapped within the confines of a contaminated workspace. While trapped, the worker is unable to breathe within the enclosed space that is contaminated by manure and silo gas. Other instances involve the work area not having proper oxygen levels conducive for work.
- Falling while farming – Injuries can be a result of farmers falling from ladders, buildings, haymows and other farming apparatuses. Other serious injuries from falls can, instead, be the result of an object falling and hitting the worker.
The best way to avoid an accident when working on a farm is to take note of the dangers out there. Once you know what can happen, you can figure out how to stay safe.
Negligent Parties During a Farming Accident
Some injuries on farms are unavoidable and devastating. On a farm, not all accidents happen by chance. Some are a direct product of the negligence shown by other individuals or companies.
Examples of negligence include:
- Workers that have not had appropriate training on how to use farming equipment and tools
- Defective equipment used to farm, like when the employer does not discontinue a broken machine
- Companies neglecting to place proper warning labels on equipment to alert users of possible dangers
- Removing shields and other devices used to protect workers from injury
With every passing year, there are serious injuries taking place across farms throughout the country. These damages can often hinder you from being able to resume your regular work life and may require continuous, scheduled medical treatment.
Someone else may have been the cause of your farm accident. If this is the case, he may be fully responsible for the damages. Speak with a highly qualified attorney that specializes in farm accidents and injuries concerning your accident case.
The Law Firm of Joseph T. Welsh is experienced in Southwestern Kansas farm accidents and can help you fight for compensation. When you work with us you will be treated like a person, not just a case. Contact our office at (620) 510-5030 to receive a free case evaluation today.